William Robert Fitzgerald, Second Duke of Leinster
- Mezzotint and etching on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige laid paper
- 19 13/16 × 14 1/16 inches (50.4 × 35.7 cm) and 18 1/2 × 13 7/8 inches (47 × 35.3 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, upper right: "16"; lower left: "31"
Marked in blue ink, on back, center, collector's stamp: "Paul Mellon Collection"
Lettered, lower left: "Painted by Sir Joshua Reynolds"; lower center, text broken up by large coat of arms at center: "William Duke of Leinster, Marquis of Kildare, ~ | EARL of KILDARE and OPHALY, VISCOUNT LEINSTER of TAPLOW, | in Buckinghamshire; & Baron of Ophaly.~ | Publish'd according to act of Parliament, May 19th, 1775, by J Dixon, Kempes Row, opposite Ranelegh Chelsea."; lower right: "Engrav'd by J Dixon."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- books | coat | cuffs | desk | drapery | duke | elegant | fur coat | gaze | hose | lace | letter | man | nobleman | portrait | posing | robe | sitting | tapestry | thoughtful
- Associated Places:
- Europe | Ireland | Leinster
- Associated People:
- Fitzgerald, William Robert, second duke of Leinster (1749–1804), landowner and political reformer
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
John Dixon, ca. 1740–1811, Irish, William Robert Fitzgerald, Second Duke of Leinster, 1775
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.