Nelly O'Brien (Lady Mary O'Brien)
- Mezzotint on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige laid paper
- Sheet (cropped inside plate): 19 13/16 x 13 7/8 inches (50.4 x 35.3 cm) and Image: 18 x 13 7/8 inches (45.7 x 35.3 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower center: "Lady Mary O'Brien | (Nelly O'Brien)"
Marked in blue ink, on back, center, collector's stamp: "Paul Mellon Collection"
Lettered, lower left: "Joshua Reynolds Esques, Pinxt"; lower center: "Ryland Excudit. | Publish'd Sepr 29, 1774, by W. Wynne Ryland, LONDON."; lower right: "J. Dixon, Fecit."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- cape | cloak | drapery | dress | embroidery | hair | mantle | noblewoman | portrait | profile | tassel | urn | woman
- Associated Places:
- Europe | Orkney | Scotland | United Kingdom
- Associated People:
- O'Brien, Mary, 3rd Countess of Orkney (1755–1831)
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
John Dixon, ca. 1740–1811, Irish, Nelly O'Brien (Lady Mary O'Brien), 1774
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.