Entrance of Calais Harbour
- Part Of:
- Materials & Techniques:
- Etching and mezzotint, printed in brown ink on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 11 × 16 inches (27.9 × 40.6 cm), Plate: 8 1/2 × 12 inches (21.6 × 30.5 cm), Image: 7 × 10 1/2 inches (17.8 × 26.7 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "55"; lower right: "4th State"; inscribed on verso in graphite, upper left: "bet 3+4 55 | L 3+"; lower left: "2/2/"; lower right: "4th State | Hampstead 1922"
Watermark: PIM | (heart) RICHARD
Lettered above image: "M"; below image: "Drawn Etched & Engraved by I.M.W.Turner. R.A. | ENTRANCE OF CALAIS HARBOUR. | Published Jany.1, 1816 by Mr.Turner, Queen Ann Street West"; in scratched lettering, lower left: "11"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- channel (water body component) | marine art
- Associated Places:
- Calais | Dover, Strait of | English Channel | France
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Etched and engraved by Joseph Mallord William Turner, 1775–1851, British, Entrance of Calais Harbour, 1816
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.