- Mer de Glace, Valley of Chamouni, Savoy
- Etching and mezzotint, printed in brown ink on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 10 5/8 × 16 3/8 inches (27 × 41.6 cm), Plate: 8 5/8 × 11 5/8 inches (21.9 × 29.5 cm), and Image: 7 1/8 × 10 1/8 inches (18.1 × 25.7 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "50"; lower right: "4th State"; inscribed on verso in graphite, lower center: "Fourth State before rework"; lower right: "(Z.W. Aug 42)
Collector's mark: "F. Hurlbutt | Collection"
Lettered above image: "M"; below image: "Drawn Etched & Engraved by I.M.W.Turner Esqr. R.A.P.P. | Mer de Glace - Valley of Chamouni - Savoy | Published May 23, 1812, by I.M.W.Turner Queen Ann Street West."; scratched lettering lower left: "A"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Associated Places:
- Alps | Chamonix-Mont-Blanc | France | Haute-Savoie | Mer de Glace (glacier) | Mont Blanc | Rhône-Alpes
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Etched and engraved by Joseph Mallord William Turner, 1775–1851, British, Mer de Glace, Valley of Chamouni, Savoy, 1812
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.