Windmill and Lock
- Part Of:
- Etching and mezzotint, printed in brown ink on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 10 3/4 × 15 5/8 inches (27.3 × 39.7 cm), Plate: 8 1/4 × 11 1/2 inches (21 × 29.2 cm), and Image: 7 × 10 1/4 inches (17.8 × 26 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "27"; lower right: "3rd State"; inscribed on verso in graphite, upper left: "27III"; lower left: " The Wind mill & Lock | The mill was at Southall"; lower center: "Strong Third State (with + in the o of possession)"; lower right: "Z.W. oct. 95"
Lettered above image: "P"; below image: "Drawn & Etched by I.M.W.Turner | Engraved by W.Say Engraver to his H.I.H. the Duke of Glocester | FROM A PICTURE IN THE POSSESSION OF I.M.TURNER R.A. | Published June 1, 1811, by I.M.W.Turner, Queen Ann Street West"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- hill | light | lock | mill | sunset | windmill
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Etched by Joseph Mallord William Turner, 1775–1851, British, Windmill and Lock, 1811
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.