- Windmill and Lock
- Etching and mezzotint, printed in brown ink on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 10 3/4 × 15 5/8 inches (27.3 × 39.7 cm), Plate: 8 1/4 × 11 1/2 inches (21 × 29.2 cm), and Image: 7 × 10 1/4 inches (17.8 × 26 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "27"; lower right: "3rd State"; inscribed on verso in graphite, upper left: "27III"; lower left: " The Wind mill & Lock | The mill was at Southall"; lower center: "Strong Third State (with + in the o of possession)"; lower right: "Z.W. oct. 95"
Lettered above image: "P"; below image: "Drawn & Etched by I.M.W.Turner | Engraved by W.Say Engraver to his H.I.H. the Duke of Glocester | FROM A PICTURE IN THE POSSESSION OF I.M.TURNER R.A. | Published June 1, 1811, by I.M.W.Turner, Queen Ann Street West"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- hill | light | lock | mill | sunset | windmill
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Etched by Joseph Mallord William Turner, 1775–1851, British, Windmill and Lock, 1811
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.