- Part Of:
- Etching and mezzotint, printed in brown ink on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 11 5/8 × 17 1/8 inches (29.5 × 43.5 cm), Plate: 8 1/4 × 11 1/2 inches (21 × 29.2 cm), and Image: 7 1/4 × 10 1/2 inches (18.4 × 26.7 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left:"F.14 II"; lower right: "(before the no. 3 [...]) | ex. B. 7166 | 3" inscribed on verso in graphite, lower left: "June 6 | (2) 7M-"
Lettered above image: "A"; below image: "Drawn & Etched by J.M.W.Turner Esqr. R.A.P.P. | Engraved by C.Turner | Dunstanborough Castle the Picture in the possession of W. Penn Esqr. | London, Published June 10, 1808 by C.Turner, No. 50 Warren Street, Fitzroy Square"; scratched lettering lower left: "Proof"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- castle | coast | hill | landscape | ruins
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Etched by Joseph Mallord William Turner, 1775–1851, British, Dunstanborough Castle, 1808
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.