In Her Love-Darting Eyes Awakes the Fires
- between 1735 and 1757
- Mezzotint on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige wove paper
- Sheet (cropped inside plate): 17 7/8 x 11 13/16 inches (45.4 x 30 cm) and Image: 17 1/16 x 11 13/16 inches (43.4 x 30 cm)
Marked in blue ink, on back, center, collector's stamp: Paul Mellon Collection
Lettered, lower left: "Jos. Vanhaecken pinx."; lower center, divided into two columns of text, left column: "In her love darting Eyes awakes the Fires | Immortal Gifts! to kindle soft desires. ~ | From limb to limb an air Majestick sheds, | And the pure Ivory o'er her Bosom spreads."; right column: "Such Venus shines when wth a measur'd bound | She smoothly Gliding swims th'Harmonius round | When with the Graces in the Dance she moves, | And Fires the gazing Gods wth arden loves."; lower right: "Alex. Van haecken fc. | Sold by T. Jefferys in the Strand, | and W. Herbert on London Bridge."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- cap | costume | dress | embroidery | equestrian | gesturing | hills | Homer's Odyssey | plants | poem | pointing | portrait | posing | purse | riding habit | shoes | trees | whips (animal equipment) | woman
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Alexander van Haecken, 1701–1758, Flemish, In Her Love-Darting Eyes Awakes the Fires, between 1735 and 1757
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.