- Former Title(s):
Christmas or Folding the Last Sheep
- Additional Title(s):
Folding the Last Sheep
- Etching and drypoint, with plate tone on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 11 13/16 x 10 1/4 inches (30 x 26.1 cm), Plate: 4 7/8 x 4 inches (12.4 x 10.1 cm), Image: 3 7/8 x 3 1/8 inches (9.9 x 8 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "Christmas" (underlined); inscribed in graphite, lower left: "14x19"; inscribed in graphite, lower left of back: "Back"; inscribed in graphite, lower center of back: "1965.1.4"
Marked in red ink, lower right: "H+G" (the "+" is a cross shape, drawn in outline)
Lettered lower right within image: "S PALMER" (very indistinct); lettered lower right within image: "S. Palmer."
Signed in graphite, lower right below image within plate marks: "Samuel Palmer"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, The G. Allen Smith Collection, transfer from the Yale University Art Gallery
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | barn | children | Christmas | cottage | dog (animal) | doorway | farm | interior | moon | night | sheep | thatch | trees | window
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Samuel Palmer, 1805–1881, British, active in Italy (1837–39), Christmas, 1850