- Etching and drypoint, with plate tone on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 11 13/16 x 10 1/4 inches (30 x 26.1 cm), Plate: 4 7/8 x 4 inches (12.4 x 10.1 cm), and Image: 3 7/8 x 3 1/8 inches (9.9 x 8 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "Christmas" (underlined); inscribed in graphite, lower left: "14x19"; inscribed in graphite, lower left of back: "Back"; inscribed in graphite, lower center of back: "1965.1.4"
Marked in red ink, lower right: "H+G" (the "+" is a cross shape, drawn in outline)
Lettered lower right within image: "S PALMER" (very indistinct); lettered lower right within image: "S. Palmer."
Signed in graphite, lower right below image within plate marks: "Samuel Palmer"; not dated
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, The G. Allen Smith Collection, transfer from the Yale University Art Gallery
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | barn | children | Christmas | cottage | dog (animal) | doorway | farm | interior | moon | night | sheep | thatch | trees | window
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
Rachel Campbell-Johnston, Mysterious wisdom, the life and work of Samuel Palmer , Bloomsbury, London; New York, 2011, p. 243, NJ18 P19 C36 2011 (YCBA)
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Samuel Palmer, 1805–1881, British, active in Italy (1837–39), Christmas, 1850
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.