- The Vine
- Etching and drypoint, with plate tone on thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper with cream chine collé
- Sheet: 12 13/16 x 9 1/4 inches (32.5 x 23.5 cm), Plate: 11 7/8 x 8 9/16 inches (30.1 x 21.7 cm), Image: 8 9/16 x 5 1/16 inches (21.8 x 12.8 cm), Image: 3 1/2 x 5 1/16 inches (8.9 x 12.8 cm), and Image: 2 1/4 x 5 1/16 inches (5.7 x 12.8 cm)
Lettered in brown ink above upper image: "THE VINE . | SONG IN ANTONY AND CLEOPATRA _ ACT 2, SCENE 7."; lettered in orange ink below upper image: " SAMUEL PALMER"; lettered in orange ink between upper and lower images: "COME, THOU MONARCH OF THE VINE, | PLUMPY BACCHUS, WITH PINK EYNE: | IN THY VATS OUR CARES BE DROWN'D; | WITH THY GRAPES OUR HAIRS BE CROWN'D; | CUP US, TILL THE WORLD GO ROUND; | CUP US, TILL THE WORLD GO ROUND!"; lettered in orange ink below lower image: "SAMUEL PALMER"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, The G. Allen Smith Collection, transfer from the Yale University Art Gallery
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- Antony and Cleopatra, play by William Shakespeare | baskets | cape | cherubs | cloak | figures | foliage | food | grapes | ladder | landscape | leaves | light | literary theme | monarch | plays by William Whitehead (bap. 1715, d. 1785), poet and playwright | religious and mythological subject | specific aspects, allegorical aspects of Bacchus; Bacchus as a patron | trees | vat | vine | wine
- Associated People:
- Shakespeare, William (1564–1616), playwright and poet
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Samuel Palmer, 1805–1881, British, active in Italy (1837–39), The Vine, 1852
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.