The Sleeping Shepherd
- Former Title(s):
The Sleeping Shepherd or Early Morning
- Additional Title(s):
- Etching and drypoint on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 8 5/16 x 7 inches (21.1 x 17.8 cm), Plate: 4 15/16 x 4 1/16 inches (12.5 x 10.3 cm), and Image: 3 3/4 x 3 1/16 inches (9.6 x 7.7 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower center to lower right: "Sleeping Shepherd | AM1135 ."
Lettered lower right within image: "S. Palmer"; lettered lower left to lower center, below image within plate marks: "Samuel Palmer | 5"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, The G. Allen Smith Collection, transfer from the Yale University Art Gallery
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- animal art | barn | birds | book | cattle | cloth | cows | farming | fields | genre subject | hat | hay | labor | ladder | landscape | leaves | light | oxen | plough | sheep | shelter | shepherd | sleeping | staff | straw | trees | trellis | vine
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
David Ebony, Samuel Palmer's Luminous Garden, Art in America, vol. 94, no. 9, October 2006, p. 209, N1 A43 (LC)+ Oversize (HAAS) Some volumes are also available Online (ORBIS)