The Sleeping Shepherd
- Former Title(s):
The Sleeping Shepherd or Early Morning
- Additional Title(s):
- Etching and drypoint on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- 8 5/16 x 7 inches (21.1 x 17.8 cm), 4 15/16 x 4 1/16 inches (12.5 x 10.3 cm), and 3 3/4 x 3 1/16 inches (9.6 x 7.7 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower center to lower right: "Sleeping Shepherd | AM1135 ."
Lettered lower right within image: "S. Palmer"; lettered lower left to lower center, below image within plate marks: "Samuel Palmer | 5"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, The G. Allen Smith Collection, transfer from the Yale University Art Gallery
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- animal art | barn | birds | book | cattle | cloth | cows | farming | fields | genre subject | hat | hay | labor | ladder | landscape | leaves | light | oxen | plough | sheep | shelter | shepherd | sleeping | staff | straw | trees | trellis | vine
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Samuel Palmer, 1805–1881, British, active in Italy (1837–39), The Sleeping Shepherd, 1857