- The Weary Ploughman
- Etching and drypoint, with plate tone on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 11 9/16 x 16 3/8 inches (29.4 x 41.6 cm), Plate: 7 5/8 x 10 1/4 inches (19.3 x 26.1 cm), and Image: 5 3/16 x 7 7/8 inches (13.2 x 20 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "The Weary Ploughman | or | The Herdsman. | (Early proof of Pubd State)"; inscribed in graphite, lower right: "Signed here | faintly" (this is next to an arrow pointing right to Samuel Palmer's signature, around which a graphite rectangle has been drawn); inscribed in graphite, lower right: "C.17511"; inscribed in graphite, lower left: "(++124)"; inscribed in graphite, lower left: "H. 8 -"; inscribed in graphite, lower right: "250-"; inscribed in graphite, center left on back, written diagonally downwards: "[...] [...]"
Signed in brown ink, lower right: "S. Palmer." (a graphite rectangle has been drawn around this signature); not dated
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, The G. Allen Smith Collection, transfer from the Yale University Art Gallery
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- animal art | bag | branch | calf (animal) | cattle | clouds | cows | dog (animal) | farming | fatigue | genre subject | hat | herdsman | hills | houses | labor | lamb | landscape | moon | mountain | night | oxen | path | road | rocks (landforms) | roofs | smoke | staff | sunset | trees | village
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
Rachel Campbell-Johnston, Mysterious wisdom, the life and work of Samuel Palmer , Bloomsbury, London; New York, 2011, p. 344, NJ18 P19 C36 2011 (YCBA)
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Samuel Palmer, 1805–1881, British, active in Italy (1837–39), The Weary Ploughman, 1858
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.