The Early Ploughman
- Additional Title(s):
The Morning Spread upon the Mountains
- begun before 1861
- Etching and drypoint, with plate tone on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 11 7/8 x 14 3/4 inches (30.2 x 37.5 cm), Plate: 7 x 9 15/16 inches (17.8 x 25.2 cm), Image: 5 3/16 x 7 3/4 inches (13.2 x 19.7 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, in Samuel Palmer's hand, lower left below image within plate marks: "Finished state"; inscribed in graphite, in different hand, lower left below image within plate marks: "Coll. F. Goulding"; inscribed in graphite, lower left: "The Early Plouman. [sic]" (underlined); inscribed in graphite, lower right: "200-"; inscribed in graphite, lower center on back: "'Ploughman'"
Signed in graphite, lower right below image within plate marks: "S. Palmer."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, The G. Allen Smith Collection, transfer from the Yale University Art Gallery
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- animal art | birds | bridge (built work) | castle | cattle | clouds | cows | genre subject | hat | jugs | landscape | light | morning | mountains | oxen | pitcher | plough (agricultural equipment) | river | ruins | trees | woman
- Associated Places:
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Samuel Palmer, 1805–1881, British, active in Italy (1837–39), The Early Ploughman, begun before 1861