The Early Ploughman
- Additional Title(s):
The Morning Spread upon the Mountains
- begun before 1861
- Etching and drypoint, with plate tone on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- 11 7/8 x 14 3/4 inches (30.2 x 37.5 cm), 7 x 9 15/16 inches (17.8 x 25.2 cm), and 5 3/16 x 7 3/4 inches (13.2 x 19.7 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, in Samuel Palmer's hand, lower left below image within plate marks: "Finished state"; inscribed in graphite, in different hand, lower left below image within plate marks: "Coll. F. Goulding"; inscribed in graphite, lower left: "The Early Plouman. [sic]" (underlined); inscribed in graphite, lower right: "200-"; inscribed in graphite, lower center on back: "'Ploughman'"
Signed in graphite, lower right below image within plate marks: "S. Palmer."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, The G. Allen Smith Collection, transfer from the Yale University Art Gallery
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- animal art | birds | bridge (built work) | castle | cattle | clouds | cows | genre subject | hat | jugs | landscape | light | morning | mountains | oxen | pitcher | plough (agricultural equipment) | river | ruins | trees | woman
- Associated Places:
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Samuel Palmer, 1805–1881, British, active in Italy (1837–39), The Early Ploughman, begun before 1861
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.