- The Morning of Life
- Etching, engraving and drypoint, with plate tone on thick, smooth, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 8 1/2 x 11 3/4 inches (21.6 x 29.8 cm), Plate: 7 1/16 x 10 1/16 inches (17.9 x 25.5 cm), and Image: 5 5/16 x 8 1/4 inches (13.5 x 20.9 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left below image within plate marks: "Trial Proof before the plate was cut"; inscribed in graphite, lower left: "[?23 1] | July 69."; inscribed in graphite, lower left: "Hardie 10III 1860."; inscribed in graphite, lower right: "250-"; inscribed in graphite, lower left on back: "A78202"; inscribed in graphite, lower right on back: "PO."; inscribed in graphite, lower right on back: "X"; an arrow pointing upwards has been inscribed in graphite, lower left on back.
Lettered lower left within image: "S. PALMER."
Signed in graphite, lower right below image within plate marks: "Samuel Palmer"; not dated
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, The G. Allen Smith Collection, transfer from the Yale University Art Gallery
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- animal art | apples | bank | basket | beams | boys | brook | figures | genre subject | labor | landscape | light | river | sheep | stream | sun | trees | washing | woman
- Associated Places:
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Samuel Palmer, 1805–1881, British, active in Italy (1837–39), The Morning of Life, 1860-1861
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.