The Morning of Life
- Former Title(s):
Morning of Life
- Additional Title(s):
Hercules and Cacus
A Leafy Dell
- Etching, engraving and drypoint, with plate tone on thick, smooth, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 8 1/2 x 11 3/4 inches (21.6 x 29.8 cm), Plate: 7 1/16 x 10 1/16 inches (17.9 x 25.5 cm), Image: 5 5/16 x 8 1/4 inches (13.5 x 20.9 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left below image within plate marks: "Trial Proof before the plate was cut"; inscribed in graphite, lower left: "[?23 1] | July 69."; inscribed in graphite, lower left: "Hardie 10III 1860."; inscribed in graphite, lower right: "250-"; inscribed in graphite, lower left on back: "A78202"; inscribed in graphite, lower right on back: "PO."; inscribed in graphite, lower right on back: "X"; an arrow pointing upwards has been inscribed in graphite, lower left on back.
Lettered lower left within image: "S. PALMER."
Signed in graphite, lower right below image within plate marks: "Samuel Palmer"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, The G. Allen Smith Collection, transfer from the Yale University Art Gallery
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- animal art | apples | bank | basket | beams | boys | brook | figures | genre subject | labor | landscape | light | river | sheep | stream | sun | trees | washing | woman
- Associated Places:
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Print made by Samuel Palmer, 1805–1881, British, active in Italy (1837–39), The Morning of Life, 1860-1861
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.