- Additional Title(s):
The Bellman from "Il Penseroso"
- Etching and drypoint, with plate tone on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 9 1/8 x 14 3/16 inches (23.1 x 36.1 cm), Plate: 7 1/2 x 9 15/16 inches (19 x 25.2 cm), and Image: 6 9/16 x 9 1/4 inches (16.6 x 23.5 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "The Bellman. Remarque proof"; inscribed in graphite, center on back: "[?W]ER"; inscribed in graphite, lower left on back: "26900"; inscribed in graphite, lower center on back: "The Bellman | (Il Penseroso)"; inscribed in graphite, lower right on back: "4. 4. [?Hoop]."; inscribed in graphite, lower right on back: "1965.1.11"
Remarque consisting of a branch with leaves, lower right below image; blind stamp, lower right, which reads: "PUBLISHED BY THE FINE ART SOCIETY | 148. NEW BOND STREET: LONDON. W."
Lettered lower right within image: "S. PALMER. INV. ET. FEC | MEAD. VALE. | RED HILL | 1879"
Signed in graphite, lower left below image within plate marks: "Samuel Palmer"; not dated
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, The G. Allen Smith Collection, transfer from the Yale University Art Gallery
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bell | cattle | church | cottages | cows | farming | genre subject | hills | landscape | mountains | night | path | road | sun | thatch | tower (building division) | town | village | vines
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
Rachel Campbell-Johnston, Mysterious wisdom, the life and work of Samuel Palmer , Bloomsbury, London; New York, 2011, pp. 319-20, NJ18 P19 C36 2011 (YCBA)