- Additional Title(s):
The Waning Moon
- between 1880 and 1883
- Etching and drypoint, with plate tone on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 9 15/16 x 14 3/8 inches (25.3 x 36.5 cm), Plate: 5 3/16 x 7 5/16 inches (13.2 x 18.6 cm), and Image: 3 15/16 x 5 7/8 inches (10 x 15 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left (written vertically downwards): "62"; inscribed in graphite, lower center: "(The Sepulchre)"; inscribed in graphite, lower left to lower center: "Etching"; inscribed in graphite, lower left: "Sao[...] | £12-2-0 | S Palmer Original Etching | 'The Waning Moon""; inscribed in graphite, lower center: "1st State before. lettering."
Watermark: "ALTON MILL"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, The G. Allen Smith Collection, transfer from the Yale University Art Gallery
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- altar | dark | eclogues | figures | fire | flames | forest | grave | landscape | literary theme | moon | night | shadow | statue | tomb | trees
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Samuel Palmer, 1805–1881, British, active in Italy (1837–39), The Sepulchre, between 1880 and 1883
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.