The Early Ploughman
- Additional Title(s):
The Morning Spread upon the Mountains
- Etching and drypoint, with plate tone on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 11 1/16 x 15 3/8 inches (28.1 x 39.1 cm), Plate: 6 15/16 x 9 15/16 inches (17.6 x 25.3 cm), and Image: 5 3/16 x 7 13/16 inches (13.1 x 19.9 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left below image within plate marks: "A. H. P. Private Press. Sample Proof."; inscribed in graphite, lower right below image within plate marks: "Samuel Palmer"; inscribed in graphite, lower left: "Printed at S. P's press by A.H.P. Feb.y. 1874 | Unique impression" ("Unique impression" underlined); inscribed in graphite, lower right: "[?Mar] [?Os] 1 -"; inscribed in graphite in a different hand, lower right: "London, Sept., 1879. | H.M."; inscribed in graphite, upper left on back: "Hand paper 50 years old"; inscribed in graphite, lower right on back: "£4.10/-"; inscribed in graphite, lower left on back: "[?Mr] | [?Cope]"; inscribed in graphite, lower right on back: "£4.10/-"
Marked in blue ink, lower right on back: "HM" stamped in monogram (of collector Howard Mansfield)
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, The G. Allen Smith Collection, transfer from the Yale University Art Gallery
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- animal art | birds | bridge (built work) | castle | cattle | clouds | cows | genre subject | hat | jugs | landscape | light | morning | mountains | oxen | pitcher | plough (agricultural equipment) | river | ruins | trees | woman
- Associated Places:
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Samuel Palmer, 1805–1881, British, active in Italy (1837–39), The Early Ploughman, 1874
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.