The Death of Nelson
- Part Of:
- between 1859 and 1861
- Materials & Techniques:
- Etching and line engraving on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 9 1/4 × 12 3/4 inches (23.5 × 32.4 cm), Image: 7 1/4 × 10 inches (18.4 × 25.4 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "R 697"; lower right: "TURNER'S GALLY 1806. BRIT INST 1808"; inscribed on verso in graphite, lower left: "The Battle of Trafalgar, as seen from the mizen starboard shrouds of the victory"
Lettered below image, lower left: "J.M.W. TURNER, R.A. PINXT."; lower center: "THE DEATH OF NELSON. | FROM THE PICTURE IN THE NATIONAL GALLERY. | LONDON, JAMES S. VIRTUE."; lower right: "J.B. ALLEN SCULPT"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- historical subject | marine art
- Associated People:
- Nelson, Horatio, Viscount Nelson (1758–1805), British naval officer
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by James Baylis Allen, 1803–1876, British, The Death of Nelson, between 1859 and 1861
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.