The Bay of Baise
- Additional Title(s):
The Bay of Baiae, Apollo and the Sibyl
- between 1859 and 1861
- Etching and line engraving on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 9 × 12 1/2 inches (22.9 × 31.8 cm) and Image: 6 1/2 × 10 1/8 inches (16.5 × 25.7 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "R. 716"; lower right: "R.A. 1823"; inscribed on verso in graphite, lower center: "The Bay of Baise with with Apollo and the Sibyl "waft me to the sunny shore" "
Lettered below image, lower left: "J.M.W. TURNER R.A. PINXT."; lower center: "THE BAY OF BAIAE. | (APOLLO AND THE SIBYL.) | FROM THE PICTURE IN THE NATIONAL GALLERY." lower right: "R. BRANDARD. SCULPT."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- landscape | religious and mythological subject
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Robert Brandard, 1805–1862, British, The Bay of Baise, between 1859 and 1861
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.