IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Print made by William Blake, 1757–1827, British, For the Sexes: The Gates of Paradise, Plate 16, "The Traveller hasteth in the Evening", 1826
For the Sexes: The Gates of Paradise, Plate 16, "The Traveller hasteth in the Evening"
- Etching and line engraving on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Spine: 13 3/4 inches (34.9 cm), Sheet: 13 3/8 x 9 1/8 inches (34 x 23.2 cm), Plate: 2 5/8 x 1 3/4 inches (6.7 x 4.4 cm)
Inscribed in graphite lower center: "14. Thro' evening shades I haste away | To close the labours of my day. | Blake's 'Key'."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bushes | coat | hat | hedges | leaf | literary theme | men | religious and mythological subject | staffs (walking sticks) | walking | walking sticks
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.