The Golden Bough
- Etching and line engraving on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 9 3/4 × 13 1/2 inches (24.8 × 34.3 cm) and Image: 6 1/2 × 10 inches (16.5 × 25.4 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "5.4 1/2 x 3.5 1/4"; inscribed on verso in graphite, lower left: "The Golden Bough (MS. Fallacies of Hope)"
Lettered below image, lower left; "J.M.W. TURNER, R.A. PAINTER." lower center: "THE GOLDEN BOUGH. | FROM THE PICTURE IN THE VERNON GALLERY. | LONDON, PUBLISHED FOR THE PROPRIETORS." lower right: "T.A. PRIOR, ENGRAVER."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- landscape | religious and mythological subject
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Thomas Abiel Prior, 1809–1886, British, The Golden Bough, 1875
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.