Mercury and Argus
- between 1859 and 1861
- Etching and line engraving on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 13 3/4 × 9 1/4 inches (34.9 × 23.5 cm) and Image: 10 × 7 1/2 inches (25.4 × 19.1 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "R. 733"; lower right: "R.A. 1836 B.1 1840"
Lettered below image, lower left: "J.M.W. TURNER R.A. PINXT."; lower center: "MERCURY AND ARGUS. | FROM THE PICTURE IN THE COLLECTION OF J. NAYLOR ESQ. OF LIVERPOOL. | LONDON JAMES S. VIRTUE."; lower right: "J.T. WILLMORE SCULPT."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | landscape | religious and mythological subject
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by James T. Willmore, 1800–1863, British, Mercury and Argus, between 1859 and 1861
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.