Phryne going to the Bath as Venus
- between 1859 and 1861
- Etching and line engraving on moderately thick, smooth, beige wove paper
- Sheet: 12 1/4 × 8 3/4 inches (31.1 × 22.2 cm) and Image: 8 3/4 × 7 1/2 inches (22.2 × 19.1 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "R. 737"; lower right: "R.A. 1838"; inscribed on verso in graphite, lower left: "Phryne going to the Bath as Venus- Demosthenes taunted by Aeschines"
Lettered below image, lower left: "J.M.W. TURNER R.A. PINXT."; lower center: "PHRYNE GOING TO THE BATH AS VENUS. | FROM THE PICTURE IN THE NATIONAL GALLERY. | LONDON JAMES S. VIRTUE.; lower right: "J.B. ALLEN, SCULPT."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- cityscape | religious and mythological subject
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by James Baylis Allen, 1803–1876, British, Phryne going to the Bath as Venus, between 1859 and 1861
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.