Bacchus and Ariadne
- between 1859 and 1861
- Materials & Techniques:
- Etching and line engraving on moderately thick, smooth, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 12 3/4 × 9 inches (32.4 × 22.9 cm), Image: 8 1/2 × 8 1/2 inches (21.6 × 21.6 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "R 741"; lower right: "R.A. 1840"
Lettered below images, lower left: "J.M.W. TURNER R.A. PINXT."; lower center: "BACCHUS AND ARIADNE. | FROM THE PICTURE IN THE NATIONAL GALLERY. | LONDON, JAMES S. VIRTUE."; lower right: "C.COUSEN, SCULPT."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | landscape | religious and mythological subject
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Charles Cousen, ca. 1819–1889, British, Bacchus and Ariadne, between 1859 and 1861
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.