Procris and Cephalus
- Part Of:
- Etching with mezzotint printed in brown ink on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 10 1/4 × 12 7/8 inches (26 × 32.7 cm), Plate: 8 1/4 × 11 1/8 inches (21 × 28.3 cm), and Image: 7 1/2 × 10 1/4 inches (19.1 × 26 cm)
Inscribed in graphite: "S35. Early State. [crossed out]"
Monogrammed in plate: "S" on shield
Signed in graphite, lower right: "Frank Short"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, The G. Allen Smith Collection, transfer from the Yale University Art Gallery
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- arrow | bow | Cephalus inadvertently kills Procris | death | dog | foliage | landscape | literary theme | love-affairs of Cephalus | man | Metamorphoses | mourning | mourning of Procris | path | quiver | religious and mythological subject | tree | woman | woods
- Associated People:
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Sir Frank Short, 1857–1945, British, Procris and Cephalus, 1885
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.