Procris and Cephalus
- Part Of:
- Etching with mezzotint printed in brown ink on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 10 1/4 × 12 7/8 inches (26 × 32.7 cm), Plate: 8 1/4 × 11 1/8 inches (21 × 28.3 cm), and Image: 7 1/2 × 10 1/4 inches (19.1 × 26 cm)
Inscribed in graphite: "S35. Early State. [crossed out]"
Monogrammed in plate: "S" on shield
Signed in graphite, lower right: "Frank Short"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, The G. Allen Smith Collection, transfer from the Yale University Art Gallery
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- arrow | bow | Cephalus inadvertently kills Procris | death | dog | foliage | landscape | literary theme | love-affairs of Cephalus | man | Metamorphoses | mourning | mourning of Procris | path | quiver | religious and mythological subject | tree | woman | woods
- Associated People:
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Sir Frank Short, 1857–1945, British, Procris and Cephalus, 1885
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.