View of His Majesty's Ship Boyne of 98 Guns, on Fire by Accident at Spithead, May 1, 1795
- Aquatint and etching on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 14 1/8 × 18 11/16 inches (35.9 × 47.5 cm), Image: 12 9/16 × 17 1/2 inches (31.9 × 44.5 cm)
Collector's mark, verso: Paul Mellon
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "Drawn by Captn. T. M. Waller RN. | Plate 1."; lower center: "View of His Majesty's BOYNE of 98 Guns, on FIRE by Accident at Spithead, May 1, 1795. | Publish'd July 1, 1797, by T. Whitewood Junr. Town of Portsea."; lower right: "Prince Arethusa J. W. Edy fecit"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- accident | Blue Ensign | channel (water body component) | coats | costume | fire | flags | fleet | galleons | hills | historical subject | landscape | marine art | masts | oars | rowboats | rowing | Royal Navy | sails | sea | seamen | ships | shipwreck | smoke | tricornes | warships
- Associated Places:
- England | English Channel | Hampshire | Spithead | United Kingdom
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
John William Edye, 1760–1802, Danish, View of His Majesty's Ship Boyne of 98 Guns, on Fire by Accident at Spithead, May 1, 1795, 1797
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.