- Peter and John Going to the Sepulchre
- Mezzotint on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 18 9/16 x 9 5/8 inches (47.1 x 24.5 cm), Plate: 18 3/8 x 9 7/16 inches (46.6 x 23.9 cm), and Image: 17 3/8 x 9 7/16 inches (44.2 x 23.9 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower left: "4t"; on back, lower right: "4/-"
collector's stamp of Reverend J. Burleigh James, in dark blue ink, on back, lower left
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "Painted by B. West, Historical Painter to his Majesty."; lower center: "PETER AND JOHN GOING TO THE SEPULCHRE. | Painted for the Great East Window of St,, George's Chapel, Windsor. | Publish'd June 4th. 1784, by V. Green & Son, No 29 Newman Street, Oxford Street, London."; lower right: "Engravd by V. Green Mezzotinto Engraver to his Majesty & to the Elector Palatine."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- anxiety | barefoot | cloaks | clouds | gesture | men | meteorology | mourning | Peter and/or John make sure that the tomb of Christ is empty | religious and mythological subject | running | science | sepulcher | storm | tomb
- Associated People:
- Peter, the Apostle, St. (ca. 1 BC - ca. 68 AD)
John the Evangelist, Saint (c. 1–c. 100 AD)
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Valentine Green, 1739–1813, British, Peter and John Going to the Sepulchre, 1784
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.