IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Print made by Valentine Green, 1739–1813, British, Peter and John Going to the Sepulchre, 1784
Peter and John Going to the Sepulchre
- Mezzotint on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 18 9/16 x 9 5/8 inches (47.1 x 24.5 cm), Plate: 18 3/8 x 9 7/16 inches (46.6 x 23.9 cm), Image: 17 3/8 x 9 7/16 inches (44.2 x 23.9 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower left: "4t"; on back, lower right: "4/-"
Collector's mark, verso: Reverend J. Burleigh James (Lugt 1425)
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "Painted by B. West, Historical Painter to his Majesty."; lower center: "PETER AND JOHN GOING TO THE SEPULCHRE. | Painted for the Great East Window of St,, George's Chapel, Windsor. | Publish'd June 4th. 1784, by V. Green & Son, No 29 Newman Street, Oxford Street, London."; lower right: "Engravd by V. Green Mezzotinto Engraver to his Majesty & to the Elector Palatine."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- anxiety | barefoot | cloaks | clouds | gesture | men | meteorology | mourning | Peter and/or John make sure that the tomb of Christ is empty | religious and mythological subject | running | science | sepulcher | storm | tomb
- Associated People:
- John the Evangelist, Saint (c. 1–c. 100 AD)
Peter, the Apostle, St. (ca. 1 BC - ca. 68 AD)
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.