The Three Marys Going to the Sepulchre
- Mezzotint on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 18 7/16 x 9 5/8 inches (46.9 x 24.4 cm), Plate: 18 1/4 x 9 7/16 inches (46.4 x 24 cm), and Image: 17 5/16 x 9 7/16 inches (44 x 24 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower left: "e/t"; on back, lower right: "4/"
collector's stamp of Reverend J. Burleigh James, in dark blue ink, on back, lower center
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "Painted by B. West Historical Painter to his Majesty."; lower center: "THE THREE MARY'S GOING TO THE SEPULCHRE. | Painted for the Great East Window of St,, George's Chapel, Windsor. | Published June 4th. 1784, by V. Green & Son, No,, 29, Newman Street, Oxford Street, London."; lower right: "Engravd by V. Green Mezzotinto Engraver to his Majesty & to the Elector Palatine."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- cloaks | clouds | jars | meteorology | mourning | sadness | science | sepulcher | storm | the holy women (the three Marys) on their way to or at the tomb, to anoint Christ's body | tomb | travel | urns | walking | women
- Associated People:
- Mary Magdalene, Saint (early 1st c. AD – mid-late 1st c. AD)
The Virgin Mary
Mary, mother of James the Less
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Valentine Green, 1739–1813, British, The Three Marys Going to the Sepulchre, 1784
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.