- The Encampment at Brighton
- Mezzotint on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream, wove paper
- Sheet: 23 7/8 × 31 1/2 inches (60.6 × 80 cm), Plate: 20 3/4 × 25 1/2 inches (52.7 × 64.8 cm), and Image: 19 3/8 × 25 5/16 inches (49.2 × 64.3 cm)
Paul Mellon Collector's mark
Lettered, lower left: "F. Wheatley R.A. pinxt."; lettered, lower center: "The ENCAMPMENT at BRIGHTON. | Dedicated by Permission to HIs Royal Highness George PRINCE of WALES, by HIs Royal Highness's most devoted & obedient Servants | Colnaghi & c. | London: Published May 1, 1797 by Colnaghi & Co. No.132, Pall Mall."; lettered, lower right: "J. Murphy sculpt."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
John Murphy, c.1748–1820, British, The Encampment at Brighton, 1797
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.