Mr. Garrick and Miss Bellamy in the Characters of Romeo and Juliet
- Part Of:
- Line engraving and etching on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet (cropped inside plate): 16 7/8 x 21 5/8 inches (42.9 x 55 cm) and Image: 15 5/16 x 20 3/8 inches (38.9 x 51.8 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper right: "48"
Lettered in black ink, lower center: "Mr. Garrick and Miss. Bellamy in the Characters of Romeo and Juliet. | Designed Painted and Published by B. Wilson. Engraved by R. S. Ravenet. Published according to Act of Parliament the 20th April 1753."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- arch | bed | breeches | cenotaphs | clouds | coats | costume | cross (object) | dead | doors | dress | gesture | literary theme | lovers | mausoleum | men | moon | night | performance | plays by William Shakespeare | romance | Romeo and Juliet, Act V, Scene III | ruffle | science | sheets | surprise | swords | theater (discipline) | tomb | tragedy | vial | vines | wig | woman
- Associated People:
- Bellamy, George Anne (ca. 1731–1788), actress
Garrick, David (1717–1779), actor and playwright
Count Paris (character in Romeo and Juliet)
Romeo (character in Romeo and Juliet)
Juliet (character in Romeo and Juliet)
Shakespeare, William (1564–1616), playwright and poet
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
Matthew Craske, Joseph Wright of Derby : Painter of darkness, The Paul Mellon Centre for Studies in British Art, New Haven, pp. 202, 204-205, fig. 134, NJ18.W95 C72 2020+ (YCBA)