Mr. Foote in the Character of Major Sturgeon in "The Mayor of Garratt"
- Part Of:
- Mezzotint on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 17 5/8 x 20 5/8 inches (44.8 x 52.4 cm), Plate: 16 7/8 x 19 3/4 inches (42.9 x 50.2 cm), and Image: 15 7/8 x 19 3/4 inches (40.3 x 50.2 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, upper left: "7137 - + s / Mr. Foote in the character of Major Sturgeon"; on back, lower left: "44161"; on back, lower right: "The Mayor of Garratt"
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "Zoffany Pinxt."; lower center: "Publish'd as ye Act directs Augst. 1st. 1765 by J. Boydell in Cheapside"; lower right: "J. G. Haid fecit"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- actors | antlers | books | boots | brocade | chair | coats | comedy | costume | fireplace | flowers (plants) | humor | interior | literary theme | maps | men | muskets | newspaper | play | satire | smile | swords | table | The Mayor of Garratt, play by Samuel Foot, 1764 | theater (discipline) | tricornes | trophy | wigs
- Associated People:
- Foote, Samuel (bap. 1721, d. 1777), actor and playwright
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
C. A. Lennox-Boyd, Theatre: the age of Garrick, English mezzotints from the collection of the Hon. Christopher Lennox-Boyd , Christopher Lenox-Boyd, London, 1994, pp. 33-34, no. 14, NE1816 G7 L45 1994 (YCBA)
John Chaloner Smith, British mezzotinto portraits, being a descriptive catalogue of these engravings from the introduction of the art to the early part of the present century : arranged according to the engravers, the inscriptions given at full length, and the variations of state precisely set forth : acc , Martino Pub., Mansfield Centre, CT, 2004, v. 2, p. 692, Haid no. 2, NE1816.G7 S58 2004