- Additional Title(s):
S. Nilus a D. N. I. C.
St. Nil before Our Lord Jesus Christ
- Etching on medium, moderately textured, beige laid paper
- Sheet: 19 9/16 x 12 15/16 inches (49.7 x 32.8 cm), Plate: 17 7/8 x 9 15/16 inches (45.4 x 25.3 cm), and Image: 16 7/16 x 8 15/16 inches (41.8 x 22.7 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower right: "(IR31/278) Iner 1964"
Lettered, upper right: "II."; lower left: "Dom. Zampieri pinx."; lower center: "S. Nilus a D. N. I. C. Crucifixo ipsi apparente benedicitur, et ab impuris tenta= | tionibus prorsus liberatur | N. Vanni del."; lower right: "F. Bartolozzi Sc."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- angel | blessing | Christianity | cloak | costume | cross (motif) | crucifix | death | gesture | halos | kneeling | nails | portrait | prayer | praying | religious and mythological subject | religious symbolism | robe | saint | St. Nil (c. 1433-1508) | trees | worship
- Associated People:
- Jesus Christ (7-2 BC/BCE to 30-36 AD/CE)
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Francesco Bartolozzi RA, 1728–1815, Italian, active in Britain (1764–99), St. Nil, 1762
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.