Poking the Old Lion
- Part Of:
- Lithograph in tan and black ink on moderately thick, smooth, beige wove paper
- 12 3/16 x 17 3/8 inches (31 x 44.2 cm) and 9 3/4 x 12 5/8 inches (24.7 x 32 cm)
Marked with imprint, lower left: "Subscriber's Copy, HB"
Lettered, upper right: "HB Sketches No 875"; lower left inside image: "HB"; lower left below image: "Published by Tho,,s M,,cLean, 26 Haymarket, Feb,,y 8,,th 1847."; lower center: "POKING THE OLD LION."; lower right: "Printed at 70 S,,t Martins Lane"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- animal | bonnet | cage | cape | free trade (economic concept) | genre subject | gesturing | lion | marriage | men | old | poking | political | satire | shadows | sketches | stick | talking | top hat | woman | zoo
- Associated People:
- Victoria (1819–1901), queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, and empress of India
Albert (1819–1861), prince consort, consort of Queen Victoria
Temple, Henry, 3rd Viscount Palmerston (1784 - 1865), politician/statesman
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by John Doyle ('H.B.'), 1797–1868, Irish, Poking the Old Lion, 1847
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.