- The Double Deliverance, 1588–1605
- Etching and line engraving on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 15 5/8 × 20 1/2 inches (39.7 × 52.1 cm) and Image: 13 1/8 × 20 1/4 inches (33.3 × 51.4 cm)
Lettered above image, upper left to upper right: "1588 | DEO trin-vni Britanniae bis ultori In memorium Classis invincibilis subversae submersea Proditionis nesandae detectae disiectae. | 1605 | To God, In memorye of his double deliveraunce from ye invincible Navie and ye unmatcheable powder Treason"; inside image, upper center: "????? | VIDEO RIDEO | I See and Smile | Ick Sie en lach"; upper left: "Disslo | Dissipo | I blow and Scatter | Ick blaes en verstroy"; upper right: "Opus tenebrarum | A deed of darkness"; center left: "88 | Ventorum | Ludibrium | Straverat innumeris, etc."; center: "Tylbury Campe | In perpetuam Papitarum infamiam"; center right: "November ye 5th"; lower center: "In foveam quam Soderit"; lower right: "Fox | Quantissum absuit | Hoe nae | How nye | Faux | Invented by Samuell Ward | preacher of Ipswitch"; below image: "OCTOGESIMUS OCTAVUS, mirabisis Annus | Clade Papistarum faustus ubigue pys | In EIGHT EIGHT. Spayne armed with potent might | Against ou peacefull Land came on to fight | The windes and waves, and fire in on conspire | to helpe the ENGLISH. frustrate SPAYNES desire | Perditione pruis nunc proditione petebant | Perdita perditro est prodita proditio. | To second that the POPE in Cousell sitts | For some rare stratagem the strayne their witts | NOVEMBERS 5th by powder they decree | GREAT BRYTANES STATE ruinate should bee | Fausta et festa dies lux aurea QVINTA NOVEMBRIS | Anglis sulphureum prodidit isla nefas | Bud hee whose never slumbering EYE did view | The dire intendments of this damned crew | Did soone prevent what they did thinke most sure | Thy mercyes LORD for evermore endure. | Imprinted at Amsterdam | Anno 1621."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- beer | building | caricature | chair | demon | devil | eye | fuerzas armadas | man | military art | pope | religious and mythological subject | ship | sitting | skull | stein | table | walking | water | window
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by unknown artist, seventeenth century, The Double Deliverance, 1588–1605, 1621
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.