- Venus Chiding Cupid
- Stipple engraving and etching on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 11 5/8 x 10 1/8 inches (29.6 x 25.7 cm) and Image: 9 1/2 x 8 1/16 inches (24.2 x 20.4 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower right: "Juer 1000 - 1590 - 1597 (1000 and 1590 crossed out) | Proof | C494 III/V | (IR31/494)"
Lettered in brown ink, along lower left border of oval image: "Sir Joshua Reynolds pinxt,,"; along lower right border of oval image: "F,, Bartolozzi fecit. [o-shaped mark]"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- arrows | boys | brothers | children | clouds | curls | family | goddess | gods | guilt | love | mathematics | mother | mythology | nude | numbers | oval | portrait | punishing | punishment | putto | religious and mythological subject | Roman | sadness | scroll (information artifact) | smiling | sons | Venus punishing Cupid | wings | woman
- Associated People:
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Francesco Bartolozzi RA, 1728–1815, Italian, active in Britain (1764–99), Venus Chiding Cupid, 1784
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.