- Additional Title(s):
The Unfortunate Louis 16th
L'infortuné Louis 16
The Unfortunate Louis 16th in the Dress He Wore While Confined in the Temple
L'infortuné Louis 16 dans le costume qu'il portoit durant sa détention au Temple
- Stipple engraving on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- 10 1/8 x 7 7/8 inches (25.7 x 20 cm), 8 1/16 x 6 inches (20.4 x 15.2 cm), and 3 3/8 x 2 3/4 inches (8.5 x 7 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower right: "(IR31/862) | Juer 1837"
Lettered in black ink, along lower left side of oval image: "P. Violet pinxt."; along lower right side of oval image: "F. Bartolozzi R. A sculpt."; lower center: "The Unfortunate Louis 16th | In the Dress he wore while | confined in the Temple. | L'infortuné Louis 16, | dans le costume qu'il portoit | durant sa détention au Temple. | ........................ crinemque, rotantes | Sanguineum populis ulularint tristia galli. [decorative mark] | Lucan I-V. 567. | London. Pubd. Febry.. 12. 179.3 by C. Guisan, and Sold by J. F. Tomkins No. 49, New Bond Street [decorative mark]"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- coat | correctional institution | costume | cravat | fortress | French Revolution, 1789-1799 | king (person) | man | oval | portrait | prison | waistcoat
- Associated People:
- Louis XVI (1754–1793), king of France
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Francesco Bartolozzi RA, 1728–1815, Italian, active in Britain (1764–99), Louis XVI, 1793
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.