The Opening of the Lecture Theatre of the Marylebone Literary and Scientific Institution, 4th March 1835
- after 1835
- Mezzotint and etching on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 14 3/4 x 21 inches (37.5 x 53.4 cm), Plate: 10 1/16 x 13 7/16 inches (25.5 x 34.2 cm), and Image: 8 1/4 x 12 3/16 inches (21 x 31 cm)
Lettered in black ink, lower center: "TO JOHN HEMMING ESQR. President, the Vice Presidents and the Committee of the | MARYLEBONE LITERARY AND SCIENTIFIC INSTITUTION | This Print of the Opening of the Lecture 4th,, March, 1835. | The Right Honorable LORD BROUGHAM AND VAUX, Patron, in the Chair. | is respectfully dedicated by their obedient humble Servant | T. M. BAYNES."; lower left: "London, Published by the Artist, 44, Burton St,, Burton Crescent."; lower right: "Printed by C. Hallmandel."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- arch | architectural subject | audience | benches | columns | costume | crowd | event | historical subject | institution | lecture | light | literary | Marylebone Literary and Scientific Institution | men | pillars | portrait | science | talking | windows | women
- Associated Places:
- City of Westminster | Greater London | London | Marylebone | Portman Square
- Associated People:
- Hemming, John (d. 1809), physician
Brougham, Henry Peter, first Baron Brougham and Vaux (1778–1868), lord chancellor
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Thomas Mann Baynes, 1794–1854, British, The Opening of the Lecture Theatre of the Marylebone Literary and Scientific Institution, 4th March 1835, after 1835
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.