- Alphonso and Aciloe
- Stipple engraving and etching on medium, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 15 3/16 x 11 inches (38.5 x 27.9 cm), Plate: 10 3/8 x 7 3/8 inches (26.4 x 18.7 cm), and Image: 7 15/16 x 6 9/16 inches (20.2 x 16.6 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "The hair 6 [swirled mark] D[...]A"; on back, lower left: "Juer 201"; lower right: "(IR31/1373)" 5/"
Lettered in brown ink, along lower left border of oval image: "H. Ramberg inv."; along lower right border of oval image: "F. Bartolozzi sculp."; lower center: "ALPHONSO and ACILOE. | While the young victor, as she falt'ring spoke, | With fix'd attention, and with ardent look, | Hung on her tender glance, that love inspires, | The rage of conquest yields to milder fires. | Yet, as he gaz'd enraptur'd on her form, | Her virtues awe the heart her beauties warm. | Vide Miss Williams's Peru | Canto V. v. 110. | Publish'd May 1st, 1788, by M. Ryland, No. 102, New Bond Street."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- armors | beads | bracelets (jewelry) | canto | chains | costume | drapery | dress (costume) | earrings | feathers | gesture | handcuffs | hat | helmet | literary theme | love | men | Peru, 1784: Canto V, Verse 110 | poem | prisoners | ruff | sandals | stool | stripes | swords | tassel | tiara | violence | virtue | weapons | woman
- Associated Places:
- Associated People:
- Williams, Helen Maria (1759–1827), writer
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Francesco Bartolozzi RA, 1728–1815, Italian, active in Britain (1764–99), Alphonso and Aciloe, 1788
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.