Grown Ladies Taught to Dance
- Line engraving, etching and stipple engraving on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige laid paper
- Sheet: 14 11/16 x 10 3/4 inches (37.3 x 27.3 cm), Plate: 11 15/16 x 9 9/16 inches (30.4 x 24.3 cm), Image: 10 1/4 x 8 13/16 inches (26.1 x 22.4 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower left: "41876"
Lettered, lower center: "GROWN LADIES TAUGHT TO DANCE. | Engraved from an Original Picture of M.r D. Dodd. | London, Printed for Rob.t Sayer, Map & Printseller, No. 53 in Fleet Street."; lower right: "P. Crotchet Sculpt. | Published as the Act directs Jan. 1, 1768."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bear | books | bows | caricature | dancing | dogs (animals) | dresses | genre subject | interior | mandolin | monkey (animal) | music | obese | old | paintings | roses | satire | teaching | window | women
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
Pleasures and Pastimes (Yale Center for British Art, 1990-02-21 - 1990-04-29) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
The Pursuit of Happiness - A View of Life in Georgian England (Yale Center for British Art, 1977-04-19 - 1977-09-18) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
Elisabeth Fairman, Pleasures and pastimes, Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, Connecticut, 1990, p. 8, no. 10, DA485 F25 1990 (YCBA) [YCBA]
J. H. Plumb, The pursuit of happiness : a view of life in Georgian England : an exhibition selected from the Paul Mellon collection, , Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, 1977, pp. 46, 98, no. 70, N6766 Y34 1977 (YCBA) [YCBA]