Reading by a Paper-Bell Shade
- Mezzotint and etching on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper, laid in mount
- Sheet: 16 1/8 x 10 11/16 inches (41 x 27.1 cm), Plate: 13 7/8 x 9 15/16 inches (35.3 x 25.2 cm), and Image: 12 15/16 x 9 15/16 inches (32.9 x 25.2 cm)
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "Hen. Morland pinxt,,"; lower center: "Published as the Act directs [date torn off surface of paper] | Reading by a Paper-bell Shade. | Printed for Carington Bowles, Map & Printseller, at No. 69 in St. Pauls Church Yard, London."; lower right: "Phil. Dawe fecit."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- book | bow (costume accessory) | bracelets (jewelry) | chair | chiaroscuro | choker | costume | dark | earrings | flounces | flowers (plants) | genre subject | interior | jewelry | lace | lamp (lighting device) | leisure | light | reading | shadow | table | woman
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Philip Dawe, ca.1745–ca.1809, British, Reading by a Paper-Bell Shade, 1768
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.