Reading by a Paper-Bell Shade
- Mezzotint and etching on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper, laid in mount
- Sheet: 16 1/8 x 10 11/16 inches (41 x 27.1 cm), Plate: 13 7/8 x 9 15/16 inches (35.3 x 25.2 cm), and Image: 12 15/16 x 9 15/16 inches (32.9 x 25.2 cm)
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "Hen. Morland pinxt,,"; lower center: "Published as the Act directs [date torn off surface of paper] | Reading by a Paper-bell Shade. | Printed for Carington Bowles, Map & Printseller, at No. 69 in St. Pauls Church Yard, London."; lower right: "Phil. Dawe fecit."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- book | bow (costume accessory) | bracelets (jewelry) | chair | chiaroscuro | choker | costume | dark | earrings | flounces | flowers (plants) | genre subject | interior | jewelry | lace | lamp (lighting device) | leisure | light | reading | shadow | table | woman
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Philip Dawe, ca.1745–ca.1809, British, Reading by a Paper-Bell Shade, 1768
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.