Trees and Cottages at the Bend of a River
- Brown wash on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper mounted on medium, rough, beige wove paper
- Mount: 4 1/2 x 9 5/8 inches (11.4 x 24.4 cm) and Sheet: 2 11/16 x 4 5/16 inches (6.8 x 10.9 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on mount, center left: "3 | 4"; on mount, lower right: "3"; in blue ink, on mount, lower right: "John Varley."; on sheet attached to mount, lower center: "John Varley. | From Colln. of John Linnell. | Bt. from his descendant, Miss Herbert, 1933. | Martin Hardie"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- boat | cottages | landscape | river | trees
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
John Varley, 1778–1842, British, Trees and Cottages at the Bend of a River, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.