Garrick, In the Character of Abel Drugger
- Former Title(s):
Garrick as Abel Drugger in 'The Alchemist'
- Materials & Techniques:
- Mezzotint on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 23 1/8 x 15 7/8 inches (58.7 x 40.3 cm), Plate: 21 x 14 inches (53.3 x 35.6 cm), Image: 18 5/8 x 13 inches (47.3 x 33 cm)
Inscribed on back in graphite lower right: "Northwich Collection | first state | [ . . . ]"
Lettered lower left: "Painted by J.Zoffany."; lower center: "GARRICK, | In the Character of Abel Drugger. | London, Published by Mefsrs. Colnaghi & Co. Pall Mall, East, March 3rd, 1825"; lower right: "Engraved by S.W.Reynolds, | Engraver to the King."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- actor | alchemist | alchemy | books | costume | drapes | genre subject | globe | hourglass | jars | mandible | pestle | pipe | portrait | science | science | shadow | skull | specimens | theater | tobacco | wig
- Associated People:
- Shakespeare, William (1564–1616), playwright and poet
Garrick, David (1717–1779), actor and playwright
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
The Pursuit of Happiness - A View of Life in Georgian England (Yale Center for British Art, 1977-04-19 - 1977-09-18) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
J. H. Plumb, The pursuit of happiness : a view of life in Georgian England : an exhibition selected from the Paul Mellon collection, , Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, 1977, pp. 43, 92, no. 56, N6766 Y34 1977 (YCBA) [YCBA]