Garrick, In the Character of Abel Drugger
- Former Title(s):
Garrick as Abel Drugger in 'The Alchemist'
- Mezzotint on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 23 1/8 x 15 7/8 inches (58.7 x 40.3 cm), Plate: 21 x 14 inches (53.3 x 35.6 cm), and Image: 18 5/8 x 13 inches (47.3 x 33 cm)
Inscribed on back in graphite lower right: "Northwich Collection | first state | [ . . . ]"
Lettered lower left: "Painted by J.Zoffany."; lower center: "GARRICK, | In the Character of Abel Drugger. | London, Published by Mefsrs. Colnaghi & Co. Pall Mall, East, March 3rd, 1825"; lower right: "Engraved by S.W.Reynolds, | Engraver to the King."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- actor | alchemist | alchemy | books | costume | drapes | genre subject | globe | hourglass | jars | mandible | pestle | pipe | portrait | science | science | shadow | skull | specimens | theater | tobacco | wig
- Associated People:
- Shakespeare, William (1564–1616), playwright and poet
Garrick, David (1717–1779), actor and playwright
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Samuel William Reynolds, 1773–1835, British, Garrick, In the Character of Abel Drugger, 1825
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.