The Death of Mark Antony
- Additional Title(s):
La mort de Marc Antoine
The Death of Mark Anthony
- Line engraving and stipple engraving with hand coloring on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 14 5/8 × 12 1/4 inches (37.2 × 31.1 cm) and Image: 11 7/16 × 11 7/16 inches (29 × 29 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower center: "John M. DELATRE"; on back, lower right, written upside down: "6064 | 3/- | [crossed out illegible inscriptions]"
Lettered in black ink, along lower left border of tondo image: "Angelica Kauffman pinxit."; along lower right border of tondo image: "J. M. Delattre sculpsit."; lower center: "THE DEATH OF MARK ANTHONY. | La Mort de Marc. Antoine. | London Published Jany 15, 1805, by A. Molteno, No. 29 Pall Mall, Printseller to her R. H. the Duchess of York."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- ancient | armor | bed (furniture) | chalice | chiton | Classical | costume | curtains | death | death of Mark Antony: he dies after having stabbed himself; Cleopatra grieves at his bedside | drapery | feathers | gold | helmet | historical subject | interior | love | man | nobility | relief | Roman | sandals | servant | stola | suicide | togas | tondo | tunics | women
- Associated People:
- Cleopatra VII Philopator (late 69 BC–30 BC), last pharaoh of Ancient Egypt
Shakespeare, William (1564–1616), playwright and poet
Marcus Antonius (83 BC–30 BC), Roman politician and general
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Jean Marie Delatre, 1746–1840, French, The Death of Mark Antony, 1805
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.