Studies from the Bust of Samuel Johnson
- Watercolor and pen and brown ink on medium, smooth, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 5 5/8 × 4 1/2 inches (14.3 × 11.4 cm) and Contemporary drawn border: 6 3/8 × 5 1/8 inches (16.2 × 13 cm)
Inscribed on verso in graphite: "Drawn by the late J.T. Smith from the | Bust of Johnson | 12022 [circled] | D 2749 | John Thomas Smith 1766-1833 | Studies after Johnson | mounted on paper watermarked 1828/ From Smith's own collection of Johnsoniana | Coll. J.T. Smith; [illeg.]"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Gift of David Bindman and Frances Carey in Memory of Diana Vincent-Daviss
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- heads | lips (mouth) | noses | portrait
- Associated People:
- Samuel Johnson
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
John Thomas Smith, 1766–1833, British, Studies from the Bust of Samuel Johnson, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.