- The Free Born Briton or a Perspective of Taxation.
- Etching with watercolor on wove paper
- Sheet: 9 7/8 x 13 7/8in. (25.1 x 35.2cm)
Published as the Act Directs by W.Dent February 3, 1790-(bottom middle within image); Title: THE FREE BORN BRITON OR A PERSPECTIVE OF TAXATION. From top to toe all o'er strick full with Taxes grievous, poor John Bull,/By Acts of State so strictly bound, Pays Shillings fourteen in the Pound;/Should Taxes new the rest Surprise, Like shop Tax, Stamps and laws excise,/John must sink beneath the evil Or lick them all to the Devil.
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
William Dent, active 1784–1793, The Free Born Briton or a Perspective of Taxation, 1790
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.