A Cudgelling Match between English and French Negroes in the Island of Dominica
- Stipple engraving and etching with hand coloring on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige wove paper
- Sheet (cropped inside plate): 11 5/8 x 13 7/8 inches (29.5 x 35.3 cm) and Image: 8 15/16 x 12 3/4 inches (22.7 x 32.4 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower right: "(PM 6206)"
Lettered in black ink, lower center: [coat of arms, "TRIA JUNCTA IN UNO" lettered within center oval, "MALO MORI QUAM FOEDARI" lettered within banners] | "THIS PLATE (representing a CUDGELLING MATCH between ENGLISH and FRENCH NEGROES in the | Island of Domenica,) is humbly dedicated to Sir Ralph Payne, KNIGHT of the most | HONORABLE ORDER of the BATH. by his most Obedient and devoted Servant, | A,, Brunias. | London. Published 15 Feby,, 1779, by the Proprietor, N. Broad Street, Soho."; lower right: "A,, Brunias, Pinxt,, et Sculpt,,"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- audience | boys | Caribbean | child | clubs (weapons) | costume | cudgels | fighting | French | genre subject | hut | jewelry | landscape | men | natives | necklace | patterns (design elements) | sashes (costume accessories) | shirts | stripes | thatched roof | thatching | torn | trees | turbans | viewers | West Indies | women
- Associated Places:
- Dominica | North and Central America
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
Mia L. Bagneris, Colouring the Caribbean : Race and the Art of Agostino Brunias, Manchester University Press, Manchester, 2018, p. 127, fig. 34, ND623 B825 B34 2018 (HAAS)
Mia L. Bagneris, Colouring the Caribbean : Race and the Art of Agostino Brunias, Manchester University Press, Manchester, 2018, p. 127, fig. 34, NJ18.B84652 B34 2018 (YCBA)