The Man of Feeling, in Search of Indispensibles: - A Scene at the Little French Milleners
- Etching with hand coloring in watercolor on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- 10 1/4 × 14 1/4 inches (26 × 36.2 cm) and 9 1/2 × 14 1/8 inches (24.1 × 35.9 cm)
Lettered inside image: "le Magasin | de Lancasre | pour Embellir | les | Dames Angloise"; lettered below image: "J's Gillray inv't & fec't | The MAN of FEELING, in search of INDISPENSIBLES: - a Scene at the little French Milleners. | Pub'd Feb'y 12th, 1800 by J. Humphrey 27 St. James's Street | NB. A number of displutes having arisen i nthe Beau Monde, respecting the Exact Situation of the Ladies' Indispensibles (or new Invented Pockets.) whether they were placed at the Ancle, or | in a more elegible situation, the above search took place, in order to determine precisely the Longitude of these inestimable conveniences."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Associated People:
- William V (1748–1806), Prince of Orange
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
James Gillray, 1757–1815, British, The Man of Feeling, in Search of Indispensibles: - A Scene at the Little French Milleners, 1800