The Introduction of the Pope to the Convocation at Oxford, By the Cardinal Broad Bottom.
- Etching in black ink on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 11 3/8 × 15 1/4 inches (28.9 × 38.7 cm), Plate: 10 5/8 × 14 5/8 inches (27 × 37.1 cm), and Image: 9 7/8 × 14 1/4 inches (25.1 × 36.2 cm)
Lettered inside image: "GOLGOTHA, i.e. the place of Skulls. | Publish'd by H. Humphrey 27 St. James's Street London | Dec'r 1st, 1809 | MASS BOOK | YORK | MASS | BOOK | ST ASAPH | MASS | BOOK | LONDON | MASS BOOK | OXFORD | MASS | BOOK | NORWICH | Well done my Children! this is | all the Convocation I would have | CATHOLIC | Petition | for the | Vacant | Chancel | -lorship | with a | Plan for | Erecting | a New | Popish | SANHE- | -DRIM on | the Ruins | of old | ALMA- | MATER"; lettered below image: "J's Gillray fec't | the Introduction of the Pope to the Convocation at Oxford, by the Cardinal Broad-Bottom"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Associated People:
- Grenville, William Wyndham, Baron Grenville (1759-1834), politician
Pope Pius VII [Barnaba Gregorio Chiaramonti] (1742–1823), Italian religious official
Grenville, George Nugent-Temple-, first marquess of Buckingham (1753–1813), British politician
Napoleon I (1769–1821), Emperor of the French
Grey, Charles, 2nd Earl Grey (1764–1845), politician/statesman
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
British Museum, Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum, 11 volumes in 12, British Museum Publications, London, no. 11384, NE55 G7 L63 A52 1978 (YCBA)