Fat Cattle, a Sketch of Tavistock Farmyard Dedicated to the Society for Improving the Breed of Cattle
- Etching with hand coloring in watercolor on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 14 1/8 × 10 inches (35.9 × 25.4 cm), Plate: 14 × 10 inches (35.6 × 25.4 cm), Image: 13 1/2 × 9 3/4 inches (34.3 × 24.8 cm)
Lettered above image: "Publish'd Jan'y 16th 1802 by H. Humphrey, 27 St. James's Street."; lettered inside image: "Ah. here's your sort! Here's your Nine Inch Fat, my boys! | O how he will cut up! as my old friend Burke said: | how he will Tallow in the cawl & on the Kidneys!"; lettered below image: "To the Society for Improving the Breed [FAT-CATTLE.] this Sketch of Tavistock Farm yard is dedicated."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Associated People:
- Burke, Edmund (1729/30–1797), politician and author
Bedford, Francis Russell, 5th Duke of (British aristocrat, 1765-1802)
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
British Museum, Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum, 11 volumes in 12, British Museum Publications, London, no. 9912, NE55 G7 L63 A52 1978 (YCBA) [YCBA]