Weird Sisters; Ministers of Darkness; Minions of the Moon (Thurlow, Pitt, and Dundas)
- Additional Title(s):
"They should be women! And yet their beards forbid us to interpret that they are so"
- Etching and aquatint, hand-colored on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 9 13/16 × 13 3/4 inches (24.9 × 35 cm), Image: 8 11/16 × 13 inches (22 × 33 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower left: "Gillray"; lower right: "MVGILL 2:135"
Lettered, upper center: "To H: Fuzelli Esqr this attempt in the Caricatura-Sublime, is respectfully dedicated."; lower right inside image: "Pubd Decr 23, 1791 | by H. Humphrey No18 Old Bond Street"; lower center below image: "WIERD-SISTERS; MINISTERS OF DARKNESS; MINIONS of the MOON. | 'They should be Women! and yet their beards forbid us to interpret, that they are so' "
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- burlesque | caricature | cloaks | cross-dressing | darkness | drama | gesturing | hair | hats | humor | literary theme | Macbeth, Act I, Scene III | Macbeth, play by William Shakespeare | men | meteorology | minions | ministers | moon | ocean | parody | political | politicians | posing | satire | science | storm | witches | women
- Associated People:
- The Three Witches (characters in Macbeth)
Thurlow, Edward, first Baron Thurlow (1731–1806), lord chancellor
Pitt, William [known as Pitt the younger] (1759–1806), prime minister
Shakespeare, William (1564–1616), playwright and poet
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
Circa 1800 - The Beginnings of Modern Printmaking (The Baltimore Museum of Art, 1981-05-12 - 1981-06-28) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
Circa 1800 - The Beginnings of Modern Printmaking (Rutgers University Art Gallery, 1981-03-08 - 1981-04-19) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]