Flannel-Armour; Female-Patriotism, -or- Modern Heroes Accoutred for the Wars
- Etching, hand-colored on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet (cropped to plate): 12 1/2 x 14 3/8 inches (31.7 x 36.5 cm) and Image: 11 5/16 x 13 7/8 inches (28.8 x 35.3 cm)
Lettered, lower left inside image: "Js Gy desn et fect | Pubd Novr 18th 1793 by H. Humphrey No.18 Old Bond Street"; lower center below image: "FLANNEL-ARMOUR; _ FEMALE-PATRIOTISM, _ or _ Modern Heroes accoutred for the Wars.___ | To the benevolent Ladies of Great Britain, who have so liberally supported the new system of Military Cloathing, this Print is dedicated_____"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- armour | boots | caps | caricature | clothing | depot | dressing | feathers | flannel | guns | hats | historical subject | humor | men | patriotism | political | satire | soldiers | swords | underwear | undressing | uniforms | war | women
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by James Gillray, 1757–1815, British, Flannel-Armour; Female-Patriotism, -or- Modern Heroes Accoutred for the Wars, 1793
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.